The community of Minh Hac is located about 130 kilometres north-west of Hanoi in North Vietnam and consists of 3,500 people the majority of whom are subsistence farmers. It is an extremely poor community and has high cancer rates and birthing problems.
Rotary has been working with Overseas Kids Foundation which has an active and well-educated local counterpart group in Hanoi and Minh Hac committed to assist the people of that area.
Since 2009, Rotarians have:
- sponsored needy children to enable them to attend school
- purchased clothes, blankets and bicycles for students in need
- funded, together with the Interact Club at Balwyn High School, the first Community Centre and Library
- provided supplementary food supplies and refrigeration to the 100-child kindergarten
- provided refrigeration to the Health Clinic to enable them to properly maintain medicines and vaccines
- purchased sporting equipment, books and stationery for the Primary School
- with World Bank in-kind assistance, set up the first computer room in the Primary School.
The first commercial pig-raising project is underway with piggeries set up in the backyards of townhouses. This is working well, with little smell, biogas being produced for cooking and a lot of healthy looking piglets!
We have made a significant difference to this very needy community. All donations are tax deductible, and an Australian dollar goes a very long way.